Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Video Killed the Radio Star

The Godsmack music video shoot was quite an experience. The band members themselves were really nice and very funny, and I met some interesting folks. Bad parts? I was on my feet, standing, for 6 hours straight with no food break, and lots of people were smoking so my eyes got really irritated. But at the end of the shoot I was $50 richer, and by the end of the night I was $90 richer thanks to an easy babysitting job with Dylan (who is beyond precious, I just wish he was awake when I went over there so I could play with him!).

My job grinds on. Things are picking up as it's advising/scheduling time for undergrads. I got my free flu shot and set up an appointment with my new doctor for a new patient physical and the second of three Gardisil shots. Felt very responsible, but the whole process took forever as processes at health professionals' offices tend to. The Red Sox are going to the World Series (hell yeah!), but that unfortunately meant I didn't get much sleep Sunday night as all bar patrons/college students in my neighborhood (whose numbers are great) were too busy running around screaming and honking their horns 'til 2am. But yay Sox!

The parents' visit comes closer and closer. I'm so excited to show them this city and my new life. Other good things in my life right now? I recently won a $50 Amazon.com gift certificate from Experience Inc. (they're on a lot of college campuses--like a career service) for filling out a survey about job descriptions a few weeks ago that I had completely forgotten about. I bought new work-appropriate high heels (black and brown) because it's getting colder and I don't currently own any. Yes, I really would have liked to spend it on something more fun and less practical, like Zelda: Phantom Hourglass, but I'm trying to be a responsible grown-up person who has her priorities straight. So in that case, shoes necessary to maintain professional standards at work outweigh super cool video game fun awesomeness.

Found out I will be able to visit my best friend from the summer in January thanks to Greyhound or Skybus. BTW, for those who haven't heard, Skybus is the SHIT! Their prices always start out at $10 each way and increase in increments of $5 after all those seats are taken. I got a roundtrip to Columbus for Kenyon's graduation in May for $36. No joke. They don't fly everywhere, and they only fly to non-hub airports, but personally I think it's the greatest invention of the 21st century for poor twentysomethings who just graduated college and still want to see their friends.

Watching Return to Oz tonight, one of the most underestimated films of the 80s. I love it. It's nothing like Wizard of Oz: no singing, no witches, and a whole lot of creepy. Let's just say the movie starts out with Dorothy in a mental institution where her doctor plans on starting her on shock therapy. The movie combines the 2nd and 3rd books in the original L. Frank Baum series, for those who are curious. So it's still "canon" and not a made up sequel, for those who still care beyond curiosity. Most libraries have it, so rent it for free on DVD.

In the world of entertainment, I've become obsessed with two new comic books series: Mouse Guard by David Peterson and Scalped by Jason Aaron/R.M. Guera. Totally absorbing, though completely different from each other.

Okay, lunch break's almost over. Back to book ordering and filing.

Seen
Queen Christina (love me some Garbo)

Read
The Tiger in the Well by Philip Pullman(finished)
Three Days of Rain by Richard Greenberg

Acquired
My Neighbors the Yamadas
The Cat Returns
Whisper of the Heart
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Castle in the Sky
Porco Rosso
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Mrs. Brown
Return to Oz

2 comments:

The Project said...

Hi Erin! Hooray! I'm so glad I found this.

Traveler72 said...

Huzzah for books and Boston! I'll link you! (weehee, this means I get to think up some crazy name for your blog. Half an hour of my life, prepare to be used for silly purposes!)

So answer my facebook post about how life in Boston is because as fun as your blog is, it'd be fun to hear it in more of your own words. :)