Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hail the Chief

So, in case you somehow weren't glued to a TV today at exactly 12:00pm...



And then he spoke. Here's the full text for those of you who, like me, enjoy reading something after hearing it. It was no Emancipation Proclamation, but it was very good. My heart soared thinking of what was happening before my eyes.

History was made today, folks. I've never been prouder of America.

I just hope that people don't expect him to be perfect. Because, let's face it, he's human (gasp!). He will screw up. He will make mistakes. He will say things that will piss us off. He will do things that upset us. But I believe he will always keep We The People in his sights, and so will never swerve too far from his promises.

---------

In non-inauguration news, things are back to normal. I got my meds eventually, and felt better within hours of taking them. Of course, I wasn't completely back to myself for about two days, but it was certainly better than the days that had come before. It scares me, the way that this chemical inbalance in my brain can so alter my perception and my physical reality; it scares me to the point where I hear the things I say and examine the emotions I feel and look around, expecting to find real self floating above my corporeal self. A kind of mini out-of-body experience.

Last Friday a group of us went to see what I call "Adrienne's Cabaret" at NewRep. She was an AD on the production, which happens to be one of the Artistic Director's last, and did an outstanding job. The show was marvelous. I saw the movie version years ago, but so far gone were all the details from my mind that I was essentially seeing it for the first time. And I'm so glad I got the chance!

The next night, Saturday, Yuval and I headed over to the Agganis Arena at BU to watch their men's hockey team battle it out with Boston College's. The tickets were a present to Yuval from my parents, and we had great seats. I was surprised at how well I could tell the difference between NHL and Division I hockey, even down to the little things. It was a lot of fun, even though the Hood ice cream stand gave us melting ice cream as a result of broken freezers. BU won 5-2, which was sort of expected (they are ranked #2 in the nation), but we had been secretly cheering for BC. The experience confirmed one thing above all else, though: I officially love hockey and will watch it live or on TV. It's as exciting as tennis for me (which I realize is something that's boring as all get out for most people), and that's saying a lot.

I also started my Chinese Level II class last week. However, I'm now taking it at the Cambridge Center for Adult Education in Harvard Square. I was a little lost the first class as they use a different textbook than what I'm used to, but it all came back to me very quickly. I think I'm going to like this new place much more. Anyone in Boston, you should definitely check out the CCAE--they have 100's of classes in things ranging from cooking to languages to dancing. And they're a non-profit, so you'll be supporting a good cause at the same time!

Starting January 26th and continue into April, I will be taking Beginning Hip Hop at BU's FitRec center twice a week. I'm so excited! I finally gave in to what I've known for a while: I can't pursue any kind of solo excerise/fitness program. I need to be a part of a group/team effort, where every session I learn something new that builds on something I previously learned. BU's dance classes are very cheaply priced considering how frequent and long the sessions are, so I think I'll be sticking with them for a while. And once I get my sister's car in March, I think I'll start making more use of my YMCA membership by going to the one closer to my house (but inaccessible by T). Physical fitness, here I come!

Seen
Arrested Development (Season Two)
Battlestar Galactica (Season Three)

Read
Crossing Midnight: The Blade in the Soul (Volume 3) by Mike Carey
Jamilti and Other Stories by Rutu Modan
Scalped: Dead Mothers (Volume 3) by Jason Aaron
Predator's Gold (The Hungry City Chronicles Book 2) by Philip Reeve


No comments: