So! I'm all moved into my new place. A photo tour is available on Facebook, of course. I forgot how physically exhausting (and painful) moving is, and I definitely wouldn't have been able to do it without Yuval and Elaine and Brian. I love my new place, though! Small but cozy, I think. And since it's in the basement of the house, it stays cool without the need for air conditioning. I won't be hosting huge parties here or anything, but I think it's perfect.
Also in the world of new developments: I've got a new job! I start work on August 18th as the Administrative Associate II in the Office of the Chief of the Immunology Division at Children's Hospital Boston. I'm nervous about it, of course, but I think it will be a very good experience for me. More career-oriented, more experience in how a non-profit works.
Thursday morning Yuval and I leave for Cincinnati to visit my family for the weekend. We're going to see a Reds game on Friday night (yay!) and I'll be dragging him all over town to show him my old haunts. So excited!
And now, I leave you with a meme as copied from Adrienne.
44 "Odd" Things About Me
1. Do you like blue cheese? Not on its own, but as a dressing or mixed with other things.
2. Have you ever smoked? Yes. I used to be a (light) smoker my freshman year in college. Then I figured out it's really gross and not at all pleasant when it's hot outside.
3. Do you own a gun? Nope. Despite being from Texas, I've never even held one.
4. What flavor Kool-Aid was your favorite? Any kind that wasn't lemonade flavor.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? No, unless I'm going in for something I'm not sure about--then I always start imagining the doctor's going to tell me I have cancer.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Yummy. I don't care what's in them. My dad and I used to eat them raw with cheese when watching football.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? Duh: A Muppet Christmas Carol.
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? Sometimes iced coffee from Dunkin' Donuts, but mostly milk.
9. Can you do push ups? Yes, but only a maximum of 15-20: it depends on when my stomach gives out.
10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry? The pearl necklace my late grandmother gave to me when I graduated high school.
11. Favorite hobby? Reading. I do it a lot.
12. Do you have A.D.D.? Nope. One of my problems is that I have "tunnel vision" and tend to focus intensely on one thing at a time. Unless I'm at work, where I can multi-task like a mo fo.
13. What's one trait you hate about yourself? My proclivity for freaking out about the little details of things.
14. Middle name? McGinley, after the clan in Ireland that my mother's side is descended from. Also my mom's last name.
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment. 1) I'm really, really sleepy. 2) I love the Backstreet Boys. 3) I should be doing work instead of filling this out.
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink? Coke, juice, milk. Trying to drink more water at the insistence of a certain someone.
17. Current worry? That I have a cold sore developing. Probably from all the stress of moving. Damn.
18. Current hate right now? I agree with Adrienne: money. Money and my lack of enough of it to assuage my worry of constant impeding financial doom.
19. Favorite place to be? My apartment, cuddling and watching something on the TV.
20. How did you bring in the New Year? Dinner with Yuval at Uno's in Porter Square, a brief stay at a party hosted by Margaret's non-friend near MIT, and finally wine and champagne at Kat and Garrett's place in Davis Square where we watched the ball drop.
21. Where would you like to go? To Cincinnati to visit my family. Thankfully I'm doing that this Thursday. After that, North Carolina to visit Melissa.
22. Name three people who will complete this. Mayhap Anthony and Ryan will fill this out and make satirical comments along the way? And um...possibly Ken.
23. Do you own slippers? Not slippers, but mukluks. My uncle got me hooked on them. So comfy and warm!
24. What color shirt are you wearing right now? Fuchsia.
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? No, too slippery. Plus I'd feel like a hooker.
26. Can you whistle? No. I can force air from my mouth in a way that vaguely resembles whistling, though.
27. Favorite color? Blue and green. Blue green?
28. Would you be a pirate? Much as I'd love to the awesome ass-kicking powers of a ninja, I have a low pain tolerance. So yes, I think a pirate's life is the life for me. Dabloons and high seas!
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? Usually pieces I learned in my one year of voice lessons. And Disney songs, of course.
30. Favorite Girl's Name? Piper, Madeleine, Kate (just Kate, not short for anything)
31. Favorite boy's Name? Elijah, Caleb
32. What's in your pocket right now? Nothing. These pants don't have pockets.
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Learning that there's a new show on VH1 called "I Want to Work for Diddy."
34. Best bed sheets as a child? Soft ones.
35. Worst injury you've ever had? Probably the hit I took to the face from a broken broom handle being used as an improvised pinata bat the day before 2nd grade started at a new school. Nearly took out my eye, required six stitches along my right eyebrow and a butterfly stitch right below my eye. Also directly led to the worst first day of school ever.
36. Do you love where you live? I do now! Newton is much prettier and quieter and cleaner than Allston. Sure, there's no longer 8,000 restaurants around, but that's fine with me. Makes me less likely to spend money.
37. How many TVs do you have in your house? Just the one.
38. Who is your loudest friend? I would say Margaret. Loud in the best way possible.
39. How many dogs do you have? One back in Cincinnati, none in Boston. But, oh, how I want one!
40. Does someone have a crush on you? I would assume Yuval does. I hope.
41. What is your favorite book? Well, there are three titles that I can read over and over (which I do) and love each time. 1) The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy, 2) Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones, 3) The Wrinkle in Time quartet by Madeleine L'Engle.
42. What is your favorite candy? Snickers and 3 Musketeers.
43. Favorite Sports Team? Cincinnati Reds. I will always have a soft spot for them.
44. What song do you want played at your funeral? "September" by Earth, Wind, & Fire.
Enchantress From the Stars by Sylvia Engdahl