Monday, January 28, 2008

[no song]

At last, the long awaited meme. Most of it is eerily appropriate to the corresponding category. I point out the ones that I skipped a few songs on, either for reasons of song obscurity or absolute and complete inappropriateness. There's one where you'll see what I mean by that. Enjoy! Expect a real update on my life soon.

Opening Credits: "Sunshine Daydream" by The Grateful Dead
Wow. I haven't listened to my Grateful Dead in years...yet this song is strangely appropriate and very fitting for the opening credits to my life.

Growing Up Montage: "Zoot Suit Riot" by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Ha, all I can imagine is baby videos of me running around naked in our backyard(s) while this song plays over the feed. It's a hilariously wonderful picture--also great song for my childhood considering most of my music growing up was oldies.

High School: "Why Did You Stay" by The Pipettes
HaHA, yet another fabulous song pick. Thanks, Windows Media Player! Though I was not at all familiar with The Pipettes in high school (also they weren't around...), this song applies both to my perspective in some relationships and also to the perspectives I'm sure some of my boyfriends and friends had in mind. About one person treating the other badly and the other refusing to leave despite his/her best interests.

College: "Maria Maria" by Wyclef Jean
Damn, talk about music I haven't listened to in too long. Hmm...this song is less appropriate for its category than the previous ones, but I can see where it could fit in amonst my college experiences. Political/social messages intertwined with the story of a girl who's trying to change the world around her for the better at the same time she's falling in love. Actually, the longer I listen to it, the better it's fitting into its category. It's more reflective of my state of mind than all the fun times I had those four years, but still. Beggars and choosers and all that.

Waking Up and Morning Routine: "Alive" by Pearl Jam
I think it's amazing that most of the music getting picked for this list is stuff I haven't listened to in forever. That said, "Alive" is something I could definitely get ready to in the morning: alternately calmish and rockish and jamming. An affirmation of life. A good thing to remember in the mornings, I think. ;o)

Driving: "The More You Ruv Someone" from Avenue Q
A very apropos pick for driving as it reflects my love of singing out loud in the car, whether it be to musicals or pop or rock or rap or...whatever. Also Japanese accents are hilarious, and everyone who reads this knows of my (totally serious, of course) un-PC comments regarding races other than the Master Race. Um...right. Yes.

At Work: "Tank!" by Yoko Kanno
Okay, I admit that the first song that came up for this one was "Locke" from the FFVI OST, but I hit 'next' because I don't want non-widespread video game songs up here. That said, HOLY CRAP! I only wish work was exciting enough to merit this wonderful bebop song that serves as the opening to one of the most brilliant series (animated or live) in TV history. But there are days when I definitely feel crazy like this song's super-fast sax and oscillating horn section. Man, I heart Yoko. The one that didn't kill The Beatles, that is.

Falling in Love: "Blowers Daughter" by Damien Rice
Man, haven't heard dear Damien in many moons. This one's beautiful, sad, moving, and extremely reflective of the way I fall in love. "I can't take my eyes off of you...And so it is, just like you said it should be." Wow. This meme is getting creepy in its accuracy...

Breaking Up: "Cold Water" by Damien Rice
Keep reading my mind, meme. Keep on keepin' on. I've never listened to this song after a break-up, but I'll definitely keep it in mind should the need arise (knock on wood that it won't!). Heartbreaking and slow, longing and gorgeous. "And I can't let go of your hand. Lord, can you hear me now? Or am I lost?"

Getting Back Together: "Body Movin'" by The Beastie Boys
I can only hope that any getting back together moment I should have wold be accompanied by this funk-tastic and dance-tastic song. Our bodies would indeed be moving...towards each other. A fun celebration would follow, of course. ;o)

Dinner with Family: "Wait Until Tomorrow" by Jimi Hendrix
I admit several songs had to be gone through to arrive at this one. The first was about an abusive husband who kills his wife while their child listens, the second was from the show Utena, which only Anthony would get, and the third was from a musical that I barely know. Jimi is sort of appropriate in that both my parents and my sister would rock out to this for sure while my dog watched us, confused as to how we ridiculous creatures could still possibly be alive. And I'm sure Mom or Dad would have a fun story about the first time they heard Mr. Hendrix.

Wedding: "Where The Green Grass Grows" by Tim McGraw
Ha, of course my wedding song would be a country song. I do love Tim McGraw, though. A very good song for a wedding, though. A nice mix of upbeat and meangingful. "I'm gonna live where the green grows, watch my corn pop up in rows, every night be tucked in close to you. Raise our kids with the good Lord's best, point our rocking chairs towards the West, plan our dreams where the peaceful river flows." [I should point out that I skipped over the original pick for this one due to its obscure video game nature, but I think I should let all those familiar with Chrono Trigger know that it was the "Wind Scene" song. Specifically, the piano instrumental version.]

Life's Good: "Rainbow Country" by Bob Marley
Is there any more pefect artist for "life is good" music than Mr. Bob Marley? It doesn't even matter what he's saying, you know everything's good. I tip my hat to your dreads, sir.

Mental Breakdown: "B.O.B [Bombs Over Baghdad]" by Outkast
I love this song. Perfect for a mental breakdown or just for bouncing around in your room or for imagining yourself kicking ass in cool leather outfits and sunglasses in a room full of bad guys...Maybe that's just me.

Flashback: "Wide Open Spaces" by Dixie Chicks
A song about starting new while contemplating those who have gone on the same journey before you and those who will come after. Very cool, WMP. A little more about looking forward than backward, but who says you can't look at the past with one eye to the future?

Birth of a Child: "Fell In Love With A Girl" by The White Stripes
I will definitely be celebrating and upbeat and happy when my child is born--after the bed rest and massive amounts of drugs wear off, that is. Some of these lyrics are very appropriate while others are...not. I like the parts that fit, though, the feeling of loving someone so much you just can't stay away.

Final Battle: "Carol of the Bells" Traditional Ukrainian Folk Song with Lyrics by Peter Wilhousky
YES! I would love to have a final battle to this song. My favorite Christmas song, at once beautiful and imposing and a little scary. I'd fight for Christmas and 'ole Saint Nick, fo sho.

Death Scene: "Big Yellow Taxi" by The Counting Crows
Part of me would be very upset that my death scene would be accompanied by such an overplayed, over-marketed song, but part of me revels in the appropriateness of parts of it. "Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone." Plus I'd like to think that my death would somehow stick it to The Man at the same time.

Funeral Song: "Pledging My Time" by Bob Dylan
Certainly an ironic song to play at my funeral. I would infinitely prefer this to something somber and sad, though. Lord knows I'll still be rocking in the afterlife. "Well, the room is so stuffy, I can hardly breathe. Ev'rybody's gone but me and you, and I can't be the last to leave. I'm pledging my time to you, hopin' you'll come through, too."

End Credits: "The Long Day Is Over" by Norah Jones
Where was this song one category ago? A little melancholy for my taste at the end credits, but still very appropriate to its function. I love Norah's jazzy calm voice, though, so I wouldn't mind going out to this. It's the kind of song that would have me sitting in my seat at the theater, reflecting on what I'd just seen. I like that idea.

-------------
Next time, on (In)Trepid Exploration: Wendy Wasserstein, a bar, many life decisions, Dr. Strangelove, and wolves.

No comments: