Thursday, June 26, 2008

Back 2 Good

During my K-12 school years, my schools closed for snow days, heat days, flooding, and a tornado. Never, though, did I experience a school closing due to a ninja sighting. As my boss pointed out, the person who spotted the ninja and panicked clearly wasn't thinking straight. Because if it had been a real ninja, said spotter wouldn't have been able to see the assassin at all. Ninjas are silent and stealthy like the night wind, man!

I cost my team the winning spot in trivia on Tuesday night because I was not aware that Gone With The Wind had won a Pulitzer. Needless to say I felt like a sham of an English major. Perhaps I was a teensy bit prejudiced because I find Scarlett O'Hara to be obnoxious and irritating and therefore not Pulitzer-worthy? Oh well.

This news story served to reaffirm my love of two related things: country music and Tim McGraw. Apparently a front row male fan at his concert in Washington got a little gropey with a female fan and wouldn't stop. Tim got angry and hauled the guy on stage by the straps of his wifebeater. Read the rest here. He's dreamy and chivalrous and badass, y'all. That's how we roll in the South.

Big news! I found a studio apartment that I can actually afford and will be moving in during late August! It's further west of Boston than where I live now, but still right on the T so completely accessible--and the D line is much faster than the B line anyway so I should actually get places in about the same amount of time even though the distance is greater. The best part of this place is that I don't have to pay a single utility: nada! There's no stove, but that's what toaster ovens are for, and only one window (it's a garden-level, basement apartment), but I'm not about to pass up a place this good for lack of a couple windows. The landlady is a nice Chinese woman who lives with her family in Boston and rents out this house to about 7 tenants. So, this is where I'll be living in the fall:


View Larger Map


So excited!

I've signed back up for another round of tennis clinics. I'm really enjoying the sport again, but it's becoming really frustrating in a way. I've played tennis for over 10 years, off and on, and used to be pretty good back in high school. So my brain and instincts know exactly what kind of shot I should hit where, but my skill level isn't what it used to be so I always end of messing up the point. A case of "the mind is willing but the body is not," indeed.

A side note: if I have to hear the song "Love Song" by Sara Bareilles one more time I think I might firebomb all radio stations ever. That is all.

Last night I watched the last episode of the 7th season of The West Wing: an era in my life has come to an end. I'm a little sad there's no more political misadventures for me to watch, but I think the series ended strongly. They didn't wrap up every little thing, but I had a good idea of what was in store for the characters. Goodbye, President Bartlet. You and your staff will be greatly missed. Strangely, your successor's story on the show seems to be playing out for real in the candidacy of Barack Obama...

To wit, I leave you with the story of Hope, a Maltese dog born without front legs. Watch the video, learn the story, have your heart warmed, then go look at more pictures and watch another video at The Daily Mail. So. Amazingly. Cute.



Read
Looking for Alaska by John Green

Seen
The West Wing (Season 7)

No comments: