Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wabazi Heaven

Addendum
So I just found this whilst surfing through Racialicious this (Friday) morning at work: a shot of the white kid playing Goku in the upcoming Dragonball movie (set to be released 04-10-09). I quickly proceeded to scour Google for more information and pictures, and was rewarded by the Dragonball Movie Blog. If, like me, you indulged yourself in your younger years by watching this anime on Toonami after school or ever paged through one of the 50 bajillion manga volumes at Border's, then you owe it to yourself to check this out. I have no idea what my opinion on the movie is yet as there's not a trailer out, but rest assured I'll be seeing it if for no other reason than nostalgia and love of James Marsters (as Piccolo) and Chow Yun-Fat (as Master Roshi).

I kind of hate the idea of Emmy Rossum as Bulma, but that's purely because I did not find her worthy to play Christine in Phantom of the Opera. They're all doing their own stunts (of which there are many, duh, this is Dragonball!), so I can respect her for that. Thank you, 20th Century Fox, for digging my junior high and early high school years out of the closet of international pop culture and turning the idea we all had while watching the show (honestly, who didn't think about the possibility of a live-action Dragonball movie?) into a reality.

------------------------

Another Thursday, another cute animal-related something--this time brought to you via Jezebel:

"The best genre of "cute" has to be "animal friends," especially when the animals are of different species. Meet Ellie, a King Charles Spaniel living in the English countryside who was featured on the National Geographic Channel's 'Dogs With Jobs'. Ellie's job is that she's a stay-at-home mom — to bunnies! One day she discovered a litter of baby rabbits whose mother was found dead a few yards away and adopted them as her own. She sleeps with them, faux nurses them, and best of all, snuggles with them. Just watch this clip and try not to die from an overload of warm, fuzzy feelings."

The family's visit was fabulous this past weekend. I took them down to the Esplanade to see the Charles. EarthFest was in full swing, with Cake playing on the main stage, and I managed to find my all-time favorite snack: cinnamon roasted almonds! They're only ever available at festivals, some sporting events, and at zoos in the winter. I hate that they're not more widely available, but I suppose their rarity is one thing that makes them so especially delicious to my taste buds. Dad and Megan loved Yuval, and vice versa. Mom had already met him, so now he has the full approval from my whole family. And they made a point of saying (about 85 times) that we need to visit Cincinnati before Megan goes back to school in September. Yay for my family loving the guy I love! :o)

Speaking of Yuval, he's in Montreal right now for his sister's graduation, so I won't be seeing him 'til tomorrow night or Saturday late afternoon. Sad times. But yay for Michal! I forsee her and my sister having super nerdy conversations about how cool chemistry is while I sit in the background protesting that biology is the best science (and Yuval argues that it's physics). Nerd-tacular times to come, y'all.

Spring is finally arriving now that it's almost time for summer. We had an amazing deluge of a thunderstorm on Tuesday that was fun to listen to while safe inside my office. However, I've come to understand that real thunderstorms--with lightning, thunder, high winds, lashing rain--are rare here in New England, and that makes me sad. There are few things I find more beautiful (and relaxing) than watching a huge thunderstorm with a mug of something warm in my hands, my legs tucked under a blanket on the couch. Maybe that's just me? In any case, the days have been relatively sunny and warm, which is good considering I have kickball tonight.

Yesterday I played tennis for the first time in 4 years, and I realized how much I've missed the sport. I'm taking a tennis clinic through BU's fit-rec program on Mondays and Wednesdays now. It's definitely one of the best decisions I could have made for my summer, and I'm so happy to have a racquet back in my hands. Of course I'm sore from using muscles that haven't been used in years, but such is the price of taking back a fabulous sport. I'm sure my body will come to appreciate the effort.

Next week, on June 3rd, I'm going to a Red Sox game with Kat and Garrett. Nothing exciting--they're only playing the Tampa Bay Rays--but just being able to snag tickets to a game is already a highlight of my summer. And I'll get to see Kat and Garrett, who I haven't seen in weeks. Huzzah!

The Lost 2-hour season finale is tonight! That means I'll be skipping out on the bar activities post-kickball game and rushing home to see if Jin lives through the season, if Ben continues to be freakishly well-informed, and if Sayid will ever get the spotlight he deserves. And who knows? Maybe the producers were playing tricks with us all season and Kate actually gets killed! Wouldn't that be nice? I'd certainly appreciate it.

Read
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson & the Olympians Book 3) by Rick Riordan

No comments: